Friday, November 7, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

"Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~ Jack Benny"

I'm now three chocolate Krispy Kremes and a Diet Pepsi into my birthday. Yesterday, a lady at work asked how old I was turning. She was shocked by my answer. "How old did you think I was going to be?" I asked. "At the most, 25," she responded with a laugh. Now, don't get me wrong, I usually relish the idea that people think I'm younger. But this time it only made me frown. Do I come off as a young person in an immature way or something?

I love practical jokes. I'm always late. I'm lucky if my pants get ironed before heading to the office. Heck, I'm lucky if they're clean. I don't have kids. I eat craploads of candy. I wear socks with little smiling turtles on them.* I don't always act my age or dress my age ... but, then again, how is my age supposed to act and dress?

Wow. All of a sudden I feel really rusty. I'm now two years shy of the big three-o. Twenty eight. The big 2-8. It hadn't really bothered me until now. Maybe I come across younger because I think I am younger. I mean, J had to remind last week how old I was going to be because I couldn't remember. It's as if I hit 25 and have just forgotten the rest of the numbers. Boy, 25 sure was my favorite age -- old enough to have it all and young enough to get away with anything.

It's not like I mind being older or dread getting older. It's just startling to hear it out loud. Twenty-eight. Eh, I guess it doesn't sound that horrible. But maybe it's time to throw out those turtle socks ...


*In my defense, I only wear them when I know they can't be seen, like with boots or pjs.

8 comments:

Sass said...

Take it as a compliment!

32 was rough for me. Yuck.

Gracie said...

I just turned 28 in August. It wasn't too bad, however, I do agree that 25 was pretty darn good!

All of my friends are older than me so I'll always be the baby, I'm ok with that except I think I might get the short end of the deal when my mile stone birthdays come around... since they will have already celebrated everyone elses...

Anyway HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday!!

I turned 27 in August, and I still don't know how I got here. I swear I was 19 just last week!

Mrs. Realife said...

I turned the big 3-0 in December (wait, omg, that's next month) LOL -- I will officially be "in my 30's" -- seriously... all that was stated above, doesn't change :)

p.s. -- we all secretly wear socks with turtles on them :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha i'm 33 and i don't feel a day over 50!! lol happy birthday!!!hugs and prayers...

Goatskie said...

You make me feel old... :)

Happy Birthday!

Izzy said...

THANKS for the b-day wishes, everyone!! :-)

Nej said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!