Monday, January 5, 2009

Case of the Bulge

“A lady is one who never shows her underwear unintentionally.” ~ Lillian Day

I'm curled in my chair upstairs with a super warm Restoration Hardware blanket and my fuzzy slippers, trying to keep warm. One thing we've discovered about our new house is that it stays about as warm as a glacier in the Arctic Ocean, especially when it's 30 degrees outside like it is right now.

So J and I have been spending as much time upstairs as possible, following the whole "heat rises" theory. Mom even stocked us up on flannel sheets and fuzzy pjs for Christmas. Wonder if I can pawn those to help pay the gas bill?

I'm kind of dreading my Team run tomorrow night -- hopefully the wind and freezing rain will hold off for an hour. At least my Team run last Saturday was warm. And it had a slightly humorous start.

When the alarm went off at 5:45, I rolled out of bed, groggily made my way to the dryer to pull out some clean running pants, quickly dressed in the dark and hit the road. Hungry, I decided to stop at a gas station to get a Powerbar and some water.

As I was walking in the door I felt a bulge on my lower left leg. Irritated, I kept shaking my leg as I made my way to the Powerbars. I finally looked down to see a soft bulge sticking through my pant leg. What the hell? I grabbed a couple bottles of water and turned towards the front of the small store. Hands full of fake chocolate bars and bottled water, I gave my leg a final shake. And out flew a bright purple thong.

I guess it had gotten caught in my pant leg during the tumble in the dryer. I quickly sprang for the thong and -- not having any pockets or a purse -- relentlessly began shoving it back up my pant leg while trying to juggle my purchases. I caught the stare of the store clerk as I made my way to checkout. Judging by the size of her grin, I'm sure she was trying to decide whether I was a street hooker or just starting my walk of shame.

Blushing, I didn't bother to explain -- my mismatched outfit and raccoon eyes were sure to betray the truth. The plus side? At least I didn't have to dig for clean undies when I got home!

11 comments:

Mojito Maven said...

yep i definitely laughed out loud at this post!!

and I am proud of you for going for a run!! It is FREEZING outside!!

Lis said...

Hahahaha that definitely had me laughing too!! You rock for getting out there in that weather!! Awesome - good luck tom!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

That is too funny!!

Miss Caught Up said...

LOL Sorry...

A very funny blog :)

J said...

Wow those are the moments when you just have to laugh! Good luck at the team run! Hopefully the weather will be good!

Racn4acure said...

LOL - well it was purple for TNT anyway. That is a funny tale.

Nej said...

Oh crap. Now the people walking by my office are looking at me strangely again. I let out a huge snort trying to not laugh too loud.

Erin said...

I walked around a whole morning with a panty hoe stuck to my pants.... hahahahaha funny stuff

tres_arboles said...

Let me tell you about the time one of my wife's bras fell out of my hockey socks. Luckily it was in the locker room before a game, but my team mates never let up the whole night....Until I bought the first two pitchers at the bar after the game.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

You have a great attitude and/or gratitude! I left you an award on my blog!

Just Moi said...

This is just hysterical!

I literally LOL'd!