Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Motorcycle Virgin

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter Thompson

Okay, so my last post was a little ... well, let's just say those thoughts have long set sail. It was just one of those nights, I suppose.

Anyhoo, hubby taught me to ride his Kawasaki motorcycle last night.





It's a hunk of rusting red metal, but it's fun as hell to ride. I was a little skeptical that I wouldn't be able to handle the beast (read: I am so out of shape I was afraid my marshmallow arms would give out and I would be squished on the pavement).

After a careful lesson of first gear, the brake and a few other pointers, I was off. Err, okay, so it took me a few minutes (like an hour) to figure out how to ease off the clutch and throttle the gas, but I eventually figured it out. I cruised around the neighborhood at a respectable 15 mph, looking like a true biker babe in my half helmet, blue wind pants and tan sneakers. At least it was dark outside.

I did pretty well, aside of pulling out in front of an RV and nearly taking out our neighbor's kids on their silver tricycles. But it was fun, and I think hubby was proud. Maybe next time I can venture into second gear.

No comments: